Sunday, September 21, 2008

Cover Letters

The articles we read provided great insight into writing cover letters when applying for a job. I liked and agreed with most of the points they presented. One point I thought was interesting (but I'm not sure I agree with) was the idea of using a handwritten post-script to maximize impact and draw focus to your most marketable attribute. While I agree that writing something by hand would draw an employer's eye to it, I feel like it might look like the applicant simply forgot to type it on so they added it last minute by hand. If I were the employer, I would probably think it was somewhat unprofessional and looked tacky.



I loved the idea of adding a testimonial to the cover letter. I feel like that would truly add value by showing that other people agree that the applicant has great attributes and would be good for the job. That is one thing I will try to add to my cover letter for the mock-interview.

While nothing really surprised me about the articles (with the exception of the hand-written post-script), I feel like they made some really good points that I may not have come up with on my own. I'll definitely be referring back to these articles and the cover letter checklist as I write and edit mine! They provide a good reference for writing a solid cover letter.

No comments: